Winged Foot Golf Club is going to host US Open Golf 2020. It is a private club located in Mamaroneck, New York. It is famous for hosting many essential golf events, including the US Open several times over the past 90 years.
Winged Foot Golf Club has started its journey in 1921 and golf was played here for the first time in 1923. From the beginning, the membership process is invitation only. Initially, some of the NYAC members became the member at the newly launched golf club.
In the first few years, some celebrity golfers were added as a member at Winged Foot Golf Club. For example, US Amateur golfer John Anderson and Amateur champion Jess Sweetser. The club got permission to host the 1929 US Open and recognized nationally.
In 2019 Winged Foot was registered as National Register of Historic Places.
Learn about the history of us open golf tournament.
Established: 1921, opened in 1923
Designer: A.W. Tillinghast
Location: 851 Fennimore Road, MAMARONECK NY 10543
Total holes: 36
Winged Foot Golf Club consists of two courses one is East Course, and the other one is West Course. Though both of the courses as masterpieces, the west course is more popular as it was ranked 8th as America’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses by the Golf Digest.
West course measures 7426 yards on a par 72. The rating for this course is 75.7, which has a slope of 141. According to the Golf Course Gurus’ Best in the State list, the west course ranked 11th in New York.
5 Remarkable Holes in West Course
Not all the 18 holes are outstanding. Some of the holes make their place in history because their nature or golfers make those holes famous. After analyzing, we have listed five significant holes.
- Signature hole and best Par 3: 10th hole in 190 Yard Par 3 is considered as signature hole as Tillinghast pronounce himself, it was best par three that he ever built in his career which is protected by four bunkers
- Best Par 4: 18th hole – 452 Yards is the final par four at the West course is a terrific hole, which is also known as Phil Mickelson’s disaster hole. In 2006 US Open, Phil was a one-stroke lead who failed three times to finish the hole and became successful in his fourth time. This hole is one of the toughest hole in the world.
- Best Par 5: 12th hole- 630 Yards has some natural rock while the hole gently turns to the left. On the right side of the 12th hole, there are some bunkers, while trees are located on the left side.
- Birdie Time: 6th hole – 321 Yard Par 4 has an excellent opening with two greenside bunkers, which make little trouble finding the hole. Possibilities of Birdie can make the par disappointing.
- Bogey Beware: 1st hole – 450 Yard Par 4 is the opening hole that doglegs left and trees on both sides. There is a collection of bunkers, which makes every golfer hit from the right side for an easy play.
East Course has par 72, which measures 6808 yards. The rating for this course is 73.7, with a slope of 141. It is ranked 65th by the Golf Digest’s listing of America’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses
5 Remarkable Holes in East Course
The following are the list of 5 best holes in the east course according to the toughness and history.
- Signature Hole: 3rd hole on 148 Yard is one of the attractive one-shotter, which is short along with natural rock formations in front of the tee box. It has green slopes in the front edge, which ideally creates a false front that makes the hole challenging.
- Best Par 3: 13th hole in 146 Yards is considered as best Par 3. Hard slopping green makes this hole attractive at the same time challenging.
- Best Par 5: 4th hole – 578 is one of the hardest holes as golfers have to avoid the pond on the right side. It is also considered as the best Par 5 at Winged Foot Golf Club.
- Birdie Time: 8th hole – 451 is another birdie trap like the west course. The hole doglegs sharply on the left, which act as an obstacle to hit the tee. Besides this, one bunker located on the right side is another obstacle, but this birdie is not tough.
- Bogey Beware: 16th hole – 448 Yard on Par 4 always throw a challenge to the golfers as sometimes four strokes couldn’t help. At least 4 bunkers come to the visual which make the blind sport for the players. All of those obstacles make this hole the most difficult one in the east course.
Notable Golf Events Hosted at Winged Foot
|U.S. Open||1929, 1959,1974, 1984, 2006, 2020||West|
|U.S. Amateur||1940, 2004||West and East|
|Women’s U.S. Open||1957, 1972||East|
|U.S. Senior Open||1980||East|
Located on a flat piece of land is the specialty of Winged Foot Golf Club. To make the course more challenging, Tillinghast added bunkers and other kinds of stuff. Winged Foot was renovated in 2015 by Gil Hanse and got a new look.